Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Giant freaking ROBOTS! (a transformers fanboy reaction)


I watched Transformers the movie last night. Crikey! It was truly an awesome remake. Kudos to Michael Bay for finally getting a Transformers "reboot" that works. Initially, I had huge reservations about this new incarnation of my favourite childhood toys. But somehow, Bay's worked his magic, and made an 80s toyline with blocky robots, cool, slick and updated for the 21st century. (Be warned, leave your brain at the door, and just enjoy the ride.)

Being the fanboy that I am, I was initially horrifed at the changes in the physical appearance of the transformers. The biomechanical look seemed too messy to my eyes. But watching the film, the transformations really work! I kept trying to keep track of all the moving details, figuring out where each part goes.

As far as the storyline, it's not too deep. I mean, we're talking about Michael Bay. He excels at blowing stuff up, not metaphysical analyses of human existence. And blow stuff up he did. :) The action was pretty much non-stop from the get go. Shia LeBeouf worked out really well as Spike, and his interact with Bumblebee, his juvenile naivete. It's not a deep story, just simple, good vs evil and GREAT FUN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home