Thursday, November 11, 2004

death of a freedom fighter

Yasser Arafat died today. Quite a sobering moment, he's always been around in the news for as long as I can remember, since my childhood years with my Dad watching the news. The man truly commanded respect, from me at least, though he was a such a contraversial figure. Was he a terrorist, or a freedom fighter? Struggling for the liberty of his people, against the evil imperialist western cultures. I'm not sure. Though I prefer to think of him as someone who did his best. The world and the Israeli situation is more complicated than can be described in black and white definitions of good and evil.

I think the fray that will result in the power void will be pretty catastrophic. Better to deal with the "devil" you know than the "devil" you don't. It's just strange, all my adult/concious life this struggle has been going on, it became especially real to me when I lived with Adi (this israeli boy) during my A' Levels. It's not just some mess that's happening in some far off land. It affects real people, and destroys real lives. It's too easy to get desensitized in this media filled world where there is information overload everywhere you turn. Some "evil dictator", genocide in africa etc etc. We've too easily become jaded and cold.

I'm going to end off with a quote from the man himself.

"I have come bearing an olive branch and a freedom fighter's gun. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hands."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home